Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sunscreen for those of us of Northern European Descent

*No, I'm not being paid to say this*

I am Irish/Polish/other, but mostly I look Irish - and my skin seems to take this part of my heritage very seriously.  Without sunscreen, I can be in direct sunlight for maybe 5 minutes without burning.  With sunscreen, usually about 15.

So, as I have gotten older and more concerned about sunburns and their negative long term effects - both internal and external, I've had to get creative.  I spend as much time as I can skulking in shadows.  If I have to be in the sun, I try to keep my back to it.  I've carried parasols and worn floppy hats. But if you use a bicycle as your main form of transportation, as I do, none of these solutions are very practical.

So, a week or so ago, I went to my local drug store, Ainsworth Drug, (where, by the way, they are all very very nice and helpful, and always appreciate a visit from Crayon), and decided to drop some cash on some sunscreen.  I've tried many in the past, with minimal luck, but I was in a mood to experiment.  

I struck gold on my first try!

Neutrogena Waterguard Kids Sunblock Mist SPF 70

I've not had much luck with Sunscreen sprays in the past, but  they're so easy!  I thought I'd give one another try, since it'd been a while, and I can never get my back with a lotion by myself.

I also decided to go for a kids formula, because in my experience, they are usually slightly less toxic than adult versions, and they always work better too.  Why?

 

 

 

Bullfrog Ultimate Sheer Protection Face SPF 30 Sunscreen

For face sunscreen, I just grabbed this one because it looked nice.  It said all the right things on the label : Anti-Aging, Ultra-light, Oil-free, etc.  

This appears to be a case where those words actually mean what they say - at least the ultra-light part.  This stuff goes on smoothly, feeling just like a regular moisturizer, without leaving you looking like you haven't showered for a week, as most of these sunblocks are wont to do.






My first test of these purchases was a 20 mile round trip bike ride on the Fourth of July - one of the sunniest days we've had so far.  This involved more than 2 hours in direct sun and more than a little sweat.  At the end of it all, I felt like I had just gotten a little sun.  In comparison, Boyfriend, who is less sensitive to sunbeams than I and never wears sunscreen, was burnt pretty badly.

I declare a win!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! I think I will go out and purchase these items shortly, since I don't want to pour on that stuff that doesn't soak in and leaves me looking corpse-color white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is this one: http://www.missdisgrace.com/2010/08/burnout-sunscreen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me! I meant to try that one out. Will purchase if I see it around town.

    ReplyDelete