Wednesday, April 6, 2011

1960s Crafts for the Modern Woman

In a 1965 issue of McCall's filled with how-tos for hideous crafts that look much like those you made in kindergarten out of toilet paper rolls and construction paper, I found a craft that actually looked kind of cool:

Embroidered styrofoam trays!




Ok, it still kind of looks like I made it when I was 5, but it was my first one. I also encased the tray in silver satin and gold crepe. A little over the top, maybe, especially with the brass buttons, but I decided to just go for it.

We like to shop at our local Vietnamese market because 1) it has an interesting variety of items that are difficult to find nearby and 2) super cheap produce. The downside is: much of this super cheap produce comes wrapped in saran wrap (which we save and re-use) and on styrofoam trays. Which are pretty much useless.

But this tray, at least, served as the medium for a not too terrible likeness of my cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment