Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mini-Vacation in my House

Boyfriend is on tour with Roommate, which leaves me alllll aloooone in the house, taking care of our myriad animals.

It's like a vacation!

Don't get me wrong. I love Boyfriend, and Roommate is a great guy. But there is just something magical about having a house all to yourself when you normally have to share. For this week only, I can watch weird movies until 3 AM (which I did on Tuesday), sew all day while watching Farscape (which I did yesterday) and walk around nekkid (which I didn't do, but it's nice to know I could). I feel like I've gotten a lot done while getting a lot of rest.

Tuesday: Played Nancy Drew videogames. Made a bookshelf. Worked on my NHN quilt some more. Fixed several torn items of clothing, altered several others. Had dinner with Amber from Seattle. Made the Best Dress Ever (pictured below). Watched movies til very late.



Wednesday: Quilted and watched Farscape. Took a break and made a planter box. Quilted some more. Read 2 books (ok, one was a comic book). Went to a New Century Schoolbook show, got stood up by an acquaintance (boo) BUT scored a free gin and tonic because I was wearing the Best Dress Ever and bartender couldn't stop staring at me. Normally I'd find that creepy, but he was appropriately embarrassed about it and wouldn't let me pay.

Thursday: Learned it was National Dog Day so I decided that I should do what Crayon wanted to do. So we took a three hour walk wherein I discovered that my neighbourhood now has a fabric store that holds sewing classes AND a store where I can buy canning supplies.

This second store, Mr. Green Beans, specializes in coffee roasting supplies. They hold classes too, every Wednesday night. They sell super pricey fancy coffee roasters, so I expected that when I started asking questions I'd get a sales pitch. Instead, the Bean Dude pointed toward the janky popcorn popper on the counter. I don't have a popcorn popper, so I asked about stove-top options. The incredibly helpful fellow recommended that I use a wok.

$2.50 later, I had evening plans.

A wok, a wooden spoon and 15 minutes got me a half pound of French Roast coffee. Why haven't I been doing this my whole life?




No comments:

Post a Comment