Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stroshimi: Bulgarian for Destroyer?

My room-mate, Josh, works for Underdog Sports League here in Portland. Their thing is "laid back" sports, which people seem to enjoy, because he works a lot. A few weeks ago, he told me and my boyfriend that they needed just one more team for this summer's co-ed bowling league. Naturally, being the terrible bowlers that we are, we jumped at the chance for discounted bowling fun.

Currently, our team NINJA (named for the best band ever) is at the bottom of the league. It's mostly my fault. My scores have ranged from 85 (an especially good day) to 27 (most of the time). The rest of the team usually manages well above 100. But it's ok. They still like me.

Last week, as I grabbed my 10lb neon orange ball, about to toss it into the gutter, a woman approached me from a team a couple of lanes away. "Your name?" she said, "It means 'destroyer' in Bulgarian!"

I replied, "Sweet!" and proceeded to roll a 4 or something.

Now, Stroshimi is a blend of my last name, Stroman, and Yoshimi, of Flaming Lips fame. When I was in college, my friend, Sara Ferra, and I skipped a lot of classes and saw a lot of concerts, several of them being on the Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots tour. We bribed our way backstage a few times, through Sara's irresistible Chocolate Peanut-butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, and got to dress up like animals and wave flashlights on stage. Good times.

Sara Ferra is big on nicknames. I've never really had a nickname (unless you count Berry the Cake, which my parents have called me since my obsession with Strawberry Shortcake at age 5), and so Stroshimi was born. There have since been other nicknames, such as The Stromanator, but none ever had quite the same ring. And, while choosing an epithet which accidentally means 'Destroyer' is serendipitously metal, I generally prefer creating things. Fluffy and/or sugary things.

Can anyone confirm or deny the alleged Bulgarian translation of Stroshimi?

UPDATE (8/16/2010):

Translation has been confirmed, sort of.

I happen to work with a woman from Bulgaria. According to her, "Strosh" means "fear", and "imir" means "one who causes" or "one who does" (I may have these spellings slightly off). So, "Stroshimir" would mean something like "one who instills fear." She says that it's a name that dudes used to take on, in order to intimidate people, but it's no longer commonly used.

How 'bout that?

1 comment:

  1. All I can find is:
    Destroyer (and tin can and sometimes Vandal as well) = разрушител
    But I can't figure out how to pronounce разрушител

    -chris

    ReplyDelete