Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New Obsession: Vinegar

So, a few months ago, boyfriend and I went into our favourite local Japanese bar (Miho Izakaya) and the fellow behind the counter said, "We've got some new drinking vinegars right now. Wanna try some?"

My brain said 'wtf? drinking vinegar?' My mouth said, "Hells yea!"

And.

It was delicious.

It was like drinking a cocktail, but slightly tart, and without a buzz. A much less embarrassing non-alcoholic drink to order than a Shirley Temple. In fact, I did some research (being an Information Professional), and it turns out that drinking vinegar cocktails, called Shrubs, was a huge trend among proponents of the Temperance Movement about 100 years ago. I'm against prohibition of any sort, but temperance is something I can get behind.

So, being crafty and thrifty, I've been frantically making tasty vinegars of my own to put into Shrubs using whatever is growing around my neighborhood. So far I have some Rose Vinegar and Rosemary Vinegar steeping in the sunshine on a windowsill, some Lavender Vinegar chilling in my fridge, and some Blackberry Vinegar hanging out in a covered container on my kitchen counter. If any of them turn out well, I'll share a few recipes.

In the meantime, I've been daily enjoying some Coconut Lime Shrubs:

1 pint glass
1/2 ounce Coconut Vinegar
a splash of Lime Juice
3 ice cubes
Fill the rest of the way with distilled water or soda water.

Refreshing!

2 comments:

  1. The whole time reading this, my lips where really puckered. Aside from the occasional seasoned rice vinegar, mainly for cooking-I use vinegar in laundry. ;) I read the recipe and then they relaxed a little. Sounds good. I definitely like this idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- how do you use the vinegar in laundry? I've been using it in my dishwasher and to clean just about everything else in my house (which is why I have so much vinegar on hand to experiment with flavoured varieties), but haven't yet gotten around to natural laundry recipes.

    ReplyDelete