Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Nepotism and other forms of Discrimination

So, I tell people that I'm a librarian. I have a Masters Degree in Library and Information Science, so that sort of gives me the right to call myself a librarian even though I don't actually hold that job title.

But I've been working on that. I've been volunteering in the Research Library at the Oregon Historical Society for nearly 2 years doing professional work in reference and cataloging (for free) in hopes that my efforts will either be recognized in the form of employment when the economic picture improves, or that my resume will be just a little bit brighter to someone else.

I've also begun working as a library page (one who shelves) at the Hillsboro Public Library. A bitch of a commute for a measly 8 hours a week, but it's supposed to be a foot in the door. It doesn't really add anything to my resume, except more time in a library.

Recently, a few positions opened up for Full-time Clerks (one who checks items out to patrons). Not a glamourous job by any measure, but it offers 40 hours a week and full benefits. I applied along with everyone else, though I didn't really want it. Hillsboro is a 2 hour commute for me (both ways) unless I drive. Then it's still a half hour. I have no desire to do that 5 days a week.

I expected that the positions would go to some of the Part-time Clerks, since they have been doing the exact same job as Full-time Clerks for years, just for fewer hours a week. So I was unsurprised and slightly relieved that I didn't get the job. But then we all saw who DID...

One position went to a Part-time Clerk who had been working his ass off at 2 different libraries. Yay on him, the man earned it.

The other position went to a girl who has been a Page for less time than I have. OH, and her mother works in administration.

A huge wave of WTF has hit the circulation department. The supervisors are suddenly baffled as to why people have been calling in sick in large numbers and why suddenly no work seems to be getting done. We have been gathering in corners whispering about the blatant and insulting nepotism taking place. I feel like I need to quit, but then I also feel like I kind of need this job, even if it is only 8 hours a week.

When I called my parents to vent, like I do, my dad told me a story:

One day (I don't remember this) in the late 80s or early 90s, my dad got a sweet new job. He quit his appliance repair job (which was slowly killing him) and scored an office job for triple his old salary. This new company promised him opportunities for advancement and higher pay in the future. He was very excited, and I'm sure my mom was stoked too. At last, no more back breaking labor! Finally, they could be ok financially!

And then my dad was introduced to his new coworkers: a group of women who had been working there doing the job my dad was now about to begin for years and years. After meeting these nice women, the new boss pulled my dad aside and said "Don't tell them how much I'm paying you. They'd revolt!"

In one moment my dad learned 3 things: His new boss was a skeeze, there was no possibility of advancement for him in this new company, and, most importantly, his presence was contributing to a sexist work environment.

I asked my dad, "So, did you tell them?"

"Yes," he said, "When I quit two weeks later."

I wish I had heard this story back when it happened. I have never been prouder of my father.

And so, my ethical quandary is actually pretty clear: I need to quit, and tell these supervisors exactly what I think. Maybe I'll burn a bridge, but it looks like that was a bridge to nowhere, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Grrr. I wish I could say that this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time... but it does, it so does. and "She had a job in college"? WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up on library-ing altogether it seems.
    And I LIKE it, it's just too hard to get in if, you know, you also need a full time job that pays the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name of the season premiere of The Office is called "nepotism" :)

    ReplyDelete