Friday, August 13, 2010

Blackberry Vinegar: Success!


Yesterday evening, after a long hard day of bowling, I strained, decanted and sampled some of my freshly finished blackberry vinegar while attempting to watch last night's meteor shower.

While the Perseids were a bust, the blackberry vinegar was an explosion of tarty fruity refreshy-ness!

As promised, here is the recipe (taken and altered from Preserving Nature's Bounty.)

A whole bunch of blackberries, washed
Enough apple cider vinegar to cover them all

Place fruit in a non-reactive bowl (I used a ceramic casserole dish) and pour vinegar over them. Crush fruit with a potato masher to release the sweet sweet juices and leave, covered, for 48 hours. Strain through a cheesecloth (though I only have a sieve) and then decant into bottles. Cork and label the bottle. Enjoy!

A note: many recipes I've looked up warn to NOT use apple-cider FLAVOURED vinegar, but to use the real junk made from apples. I didn't realise until after I'd started this process that I have the cheap flavoured variety. While I'm sure my vinegar would have been even more delishuser with real apple cider vinegar, my cheap knock-off store brand didn't ruin anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment