Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lavender Vinegar: Success!

Sorry, no photo this time, Boyfriend has taken the digital camera with him on his Fabulous California NINJA tour.

A couple of days ago I decided that my lavender vinegar was ready to be strained and bottled, I didn't get around to testing this light purple concoction until today: YUMS.

If you've ever had anything lavender flavoured and enjoyed it, this is the vinegar for you. It's strongly flavoured (unlike the too-subtle Rose Vinegar), so the tart vinegar flavour takes a backseat to the taste of soothing lavender. I also took a little and mixed it in a bottle with distilled water (approximately 1:8) and put it in the bathroom for use as a toner, so I can be beautiful AND smell great (thus making me even more beautiful).

Lavender grows in great abundance pretty much everywhere. Around Portland, everyone has a bush or two in their yard, so harvesting is a cinch. I recommend using English Lavender for this recipe, as I believe it has the strongest aroma.

Recipe (taken and adapted from Tipnut, a fabulous site):

  • Fill a jar with lavender (both flowers and stems)
  • Pour white vinegar over top, seal jar and refrigerate
  • Shake daily for two weeks
  • Strain the vinegar and use

Next to be ready: Rosemary Vinegar.

I want to try making some mint vinegar too, but I've yet to find any recipes, so I'll have to make one up. However, I'm all out of white vinegar for now. Does anyone know where I can buy white vinegar in bulk (as in, bringing my own bottles)?

No comments:

Post a Comment